- AWESOME International Arts Festival kicks off in October
- Hairy Maclary at the State Library of WA
- $5 tickets to selected AWESOME events for eligible families
For the first time, eligible families will be able to purchase $5 tickets to selected events at the AWESOME International Arts Festival for Bright Young Things during October.
The announcement coincides with the confirmation that Dame Lynley Dodd, famed children's author of everyone's favourite pooch Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy, will bring her exhibition to the State Library of Western Australia as part of the festival.
Culture and Arts Minister John Day said the ticket subsidy would allow children and their families to attend shows for a fraction of the cost of a regular ticket.
"This partnership will make the festival even more accessible to Western Australian families by saving them between $10 to $15 on each ticket," Mr Day said.
"Having the opportunity to experience quality theatre, exhibitions and arts activities created especially for young people can begin a lifelong interest in arts and culture."
Eligible children can also get free access to the new The West Australian Activity Zone, where children will get creative with hands-on interactive arts activities.
The Lynley Dodd Story exhibition, curated by Penelope Jackson, showcases the author's artwork and book drafts including the much-loved characters Schnitzel von Krumm, Slinky Malinki, Scarface Claw and Hairy Maclary himself.
The Minister said it was a coup for the State to secure the rights to this extremely popular exhibition.
"The Lynley Dodd Story is a free exhibition and will allow West Australians of all ages to acquaint, or even reacquaint, themselves with this much loved character and celebrate the works of Dame Lynley," he said.
AWESOME Arts is also partnering with other State Government agencies and organisations including: Perth Theatre Trust to bring shows to the State Theatre Centre of WA; the WA Museum; Art Gallery of WA; and The Blue Room to deliver activities as part of the festival.
- To be eligible you must have a Pension or Health Care card. Card holders can purchase up to six tickets to selected shows
- AWESOME International Arts Festival for Bright Young Things runs from October 3-16 in the Perth Cultural Centre and aims to inspire and engage WA children up to 12 years
- The Lynley Dodd Story exhibition is at the State Library of WA and runs from October 3 until January 27, 2016
- The ticket subsidy is a partnership between the Department of Culture and the Arts and AWESOME Arts
- For more information, visit http://www.awesomearts.com/subsidisedtickets or http://www.dca.wa.gov.au/
Minister's office - 6552 6200