Hon Helen Morton MLC

Hon Helen Morton MLC

Former Minister for Mental Health; Disability Services; Child Protection

    New support line for FIFO workers and families

    26/07/2015 10:30 AM
    • Working Away Alcohol and Drug Support Line now open for business
    • Alcohol and Drug Support Service has contact with more than 24,000 West Australians each year
    • $120,000 for new telephone line, training staff and support material 

    Fly-in, fly-out (FIFO) workers seeking confidential alcohol and drug support can now access a telephone helpline to provide assistance and advice.


    Mental Health Minister Helen Morton said working away from home could increase the risk of alcohol and other drug related problems and mental illness.


    "The new telephone counselling support service is an important step in reducing the impact working away can have on someone's alcohol and drug use due to social isolation, family and relationship stress, and a lack of venues for socialising without alcohol," Mrs Morton said.


    "Using drugs and alcohol, plus having a mental illness can increase the risk of suicide. The profile of an average FIFO worker mirrors a demographic at high risk of suicide - males aged between 15 and 44..


    "Providing a support service for FIFO workers and others working away from home is an important element in helping people facing these problems.


    "The service provides free, confidential counselling, support and referral 24 hours a day, seven days a week to people who work away from home, and their families."


    The Mental Health Commission, which on July 1, 2015 merged with the Drug and Alcohol Office, has been working closely with industry to develop the dedicated telephone and online service.


    "I encourage workers and their families to access the new support line and use the expert advice to help them address any drug and alcohol issues they may have," the Minister said.


    "Coinciding with the launch of the new helpline, the WA Alcohol and Drug Information Service and the Parent Drug Information Service have both been re-named. 


    "These important helplines are now called the Alcohol and Drug Support Line, and Parent and Family Drug Support Line to better reflect the nature of these counselling services."


    Fact File

    • Contact the Working Away Alcohol and Drug Support Line on 1800 721 997 or workingaway@mhc.wa.gov.au
    • Contact the Alcohol and Drug Support Line on (08) 9442 5000 or country callers can call toll free on 1800 198 024
    • Contact the Parent and Family Drug Support Line on (08) 9442 5000 or country callers can call toll free on 1800 653 203 

    Minister's office - 6552 6900