- Minister presents Lotterywest grant to Riding for the Disabled Association of WA
- Grant to support recreational horse riding activities for people with disability
Riding for the Disabled Association of Western Australia (RDAWA) centres across the State will benefit from Lotterywest funding of $229,048, announced today by Disability Services Minister Helen Morton.
The funding will support building alterations, equipment, furniture and vehicles at RDAWA centres in Albany, Carine, Oakford, Mandurah, Brigadoon, Yanchep, Collie and Sawyers Valley.
Mrs Morton said RDAWA's horse riding programs changed people's lives.
"Riding can be such an enjoyable form of healthy, outdoor exercise, that is exciting, challenging and motivational," she said.
"RDAWA aims to develop the abilities and enrich the lives of people living with disability through the provision of therapeutic and recreational activities.
"RDAWA programs at 17 centres throughout WA run activities that include horse riding, vaulting, carriage driving and dressage to more than 1,000 people."
RDAWA's nationally accredited coaches and more than 450 volunteers work with people with disability, parents, teachers and carers to ensure each rider has a program tailored to suit their abilities, needs and personal goals.
Safety standards and policies are in place to ensure minimum risk to those involved and horses are specially selected and trained.
The Minister said RDAWA provided a welcoming place that included all West Australians, including those from different backgrounds with different abilities.
"This aligns with the State Government's Count Me In Vision that 'all people live in welcoming communities that facilitate friendship, mutual support and a fair go for everyone'," she said.
- WA is the only State where money raised from lottery products is distributed directly back to the community to support not-for-profit organisations
- Last financial year, Lotterywest raised $283 million to support the WA community
- For more about Lotterywest grants, visit http://www.lotterywest.wa.gov.au/grants
Minister's office - 6552 6900