Hon Colin Holt BSc MLC

Hon Colin Holt BSc MLC

Former Minister for Housing; Racing and Gaming

    More affordable homes for the South-West

    15/05/2015 12:00 AM
    • 10 new homes in Carey Park offered at 20% below market rent
    • Six three-bed and four two-bed units for families and couples

    The State Government has officially unveiled 10 affordable housing units in Bunbury to provide homes near public transport and a university campus.


    Visiting Bunbury today, Housing Minister Colin Holt said the Carey Park units were approved as part of the National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS) which targets eligible low to moderate income earners.


    Mr Holt said the six three-bedroom and four two-bedroom units would accommodate families and couples.


    "This type of housing is in high demand in the Bunbury region. The benefit is that these units can be rented on the private market at 20 per cent below the market rent to households meeting the income eligibility criteria," he said.


    "This cleverly situated development is close to Edith Cowan University's Bunbury campus and the Bunbury train station as well as shops, parks and other amenities."


    The Carey Park development has been delivered by Access Housing, in partnership with builder Coastline Homes.


    "A key element of the Liberal National Government's Affordable Housing Strategy is the transfer of housing assets to community housing organisations like Access Housing to enable them to grow their businesses and leverage assets to increase the supply of social and affordable housing stock," the Minister said.


    The Department of Housing has transferred 471 properties to Access, valued at about $60 million.  Access has committed to funding and procuring 260 growth dwellings for affordable housing by 2020.


    Since 2010, the State Government's Affordable Housing Strategy has delivered more than 19,000 affordable housing opportunities across Western Australia.


    Fact File

    • The Department of Housing has had a long association with Access Housing
    • Community housing organisations such as Access Housing manage almost 20% of social housing in WA. Combined with local government agencies, these organisations manage close to 10,000 properties
    • Access Housing alone manages more than 1,700 properties with about 60% in the metropolitan area and the remaining 40% throughout Peel and the South-West

    Minister's office - 6552 6100