Transport Minister Dean Nalder today announced the State Government would keep late night train services from the city.
Last month the Public Transport Authority (PTA) announced plans to cancel the 1am/1.15am and 2.15am services from the city on Friday and Saturday nights due to low passenger numbers.
"I initially supported the PTA's decision based on the information they provided me," Mr Nalder said.
"However, I spent last Friday night speaking to a number of businesses in both the central business district and Northbridge, before taking the Mandurah line train at 1.15am.
"It has become clear to me that these trains are far more utilised than I first thought and I have decided to overturn the decision to cancel the services.
"I have directed the PTA to keep the services running, however I am supportive of the PTA continually reviewing services to ensure we provide the highest level of service possible.
"Therefore, I urge patrons to vote with their feet to show support for the service, so it can remain sustainable in the future."
The Minister said he was disappointed in the data he initially received from the PTA about late night train patronage and has asked them to improve their patronage data collection.
Mr Nalder said some people might not have realised the late night services existed until the PTA announced the decision.
"I have asked the PTA to better advertise the services so people know they are available. I also directed the PTA to ensure the 1am and 1.15am services are free, making trains the most affordable way to get home after a late night in the city," he said.
Minister's office - 6552 6400