- State mining engineer wins national safety award
- Award recognises outstanding safety and reform in the WA mining industry
- WA's mines safety inspector numbers to be boosted by 10 more by end of 2012
Western Australia's State mining engineer Simon Ridge has been recognised with a national award for his outstanding contribution to safety and reform in the Western Australian mining industry.
The prestigious Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy’s (AusIMM) Jim Torlach Health and Safety Award was presented in Adelaide last night.
Mines and Petroleum Minister Norman Moore said the award was a significant achievement that highlighted the extensive work the Department of Mines and Petroleum (DMP) had undertaken.
“Mr Ridge has been with the department for a total of 16 years and has been a central figure over the past three years - driving changes to safety in the mining industry,” Mr Moore said.
“He has helped implement significant changes as part of the department’s Reform and Development at Resources Safety strategy, which supports cultural change across industry.”
As part of the strategy, Mr Ridge oversaw the appointment of 25 additional mines safety inspectors at DMP during 2010-11.
The department also expects to recruit a further 10 mines safety inspectors by the end of this year, along with additional petroleum inspectors.
“I congratulate Simon on his efforts - it is a great achievement, not just for Simon, but for everyone who works in the mining industry which will be safer because of the work he has driven,” the Minister said.
“Not only has he managed the recruitment of qualified and experienced safety staff, he has also designed and overseen new inspector induction programs and introduced a new team concept tailored to suit the State’s diverse and geographically dispersed mining.”
- AusIMM Awards recognise minerals sector professionals who have contributed to outstanding economic, environmental & social outcomes across the industry, professions & community
- More information about the awards can be found at: http://www.ausimm.com.au
Minister's office - 6552 5400