- Pay packages attract specialists to Goldfields, Kimberley, Pilbara schools
- School psychologists could earn more than $127,750
School psychologists will be offered up to $14,420 above the usual salary and location allowance in a bid to attract much-needed support services for students in the Goldfields, Pilbara and Kimberley.
Education Minister Liz Constable said three-year incentive packages would be offered for vacancies based at 16 selected schools to ensure all students had access to a school psychologist.
“The State Government has committed to filling 60 new school psychologist positions across the State to ensure students in every public school in Western Australia are able to receive vital social, emotional, behavioural and learning support,” Dr Constable said.
“While we are on track to fulfil this promise, it has always been recognised that it is more difficult in some regional areas to attract and retain psychologists to work on a permanent basis.”
The Minister said students at some regional and remote towns encountered particular challenges such as isolation and poverty, which had an impact on students’ wellbeing.
“It is essential that every student in WA has access to these services and that is why we are offering conditions and salary packages that recognise the unique personal and professional challenges faced by school psychologists in these areas,” she said.
“School psychologists help students deal with behavioural issues including bullying, traumatic events at home or at school, and problems with their motivation or learning.
“Working with school personnel, parents and other agencies, they can also identify when a student’s mental wellbeing is at risk and may require further intervention.”
Incentives, depending on location, include an extra salary allowance of up to $14,420 per year and additional leave and travel concessions similar to those received by teachers in regional areas.
“As well as further incentives, psychologists in these areas will be able to earn up to $127,705 a year, including a locality allowance of up to $8,458, compared with the usual base salary of $104,827 a year,” Dr Constable said.
The successful applicants will be based at the following schools but will also work with students at surrounding schools where required:
- Derby District High School
- Fitzroy Valley District High School
- Boulder Primary School
- O’Connor Primary School
- Kalgoorlie-Boulder Community High School
- Kalgoorlie Primary School
- East Kalgoorlie Primary School
- Ngaanyatjarra Lands School
- Karratha Primary School
- Karratha Senior High School
- Baler Primary School
- South Hedland Primary School
- Hedland Senior High School
- Newman Senior High School
- South Newman Primary School
- Tom Price Senior High School.
- Total cost of the incentive package across three years is $593,000
- The new school psychologists will provide services to about 50 schools
Minister's office - 6552 5700