- For the first time, 10 teachers receive WA Beginning Teacher of the Year awards
- Extraordinary contributions made to students during their first years
Ten teachers at the start of their careers have each been awarded a 2011 WA Beginning Teacher of the Year award by Education Minister Liz Constable.
Last year, Dr Constable created the Beginning Teacher category, part of the WA Education Awards, to recognise the important contribution teachers at the start of their career made.
The Minister had planned to choose six winners from a group of 10 finalists, but upon learning about the impact these teachers were having on the performance and development of their students, decided that all were worthy of the award.
“After visiting hundreds of schools across the State, I have seen first-hand the amazing and innovative things young teachers are accomplishing,” she said.
“The winners include a teacher who has gone above and beyond, by helping at-risk Aboriginal teenagers achieve their WA Certificate of Education and another who has developed a modern history program to challenge gifted students.
“These special teachers have been recognised for making a fantastic start to their careers with this important recognition and $3,000 each towards their professional development.
“The award recognises that teachers in the first three years of their careers are making a significant contribution to student learning.”
The winners of the Teachers Health Fund-sponsored award are:
- Ashleigh Arundel, Secret Harbour Primary School
- Sharon Attree, Newton Moore Senior High School
- Eloise Crombie, Millen Primary School
- Lauren Horne, Beeliar Primary School
- Nakita Kitson, WA College of Agriculture - Cunderdin
- Paula Moses, Waggrakine Primary School
- Jane Nicholson, Perth Modern School
- Leanne O’Kane, Harmony Primary School
- Scott Sullivan, Tom Price Primary School
- Emily Upson, Highgate Primary School.
- Teachers are nominated by schools and must prepare a written application
- 40 nominations were received from across the State
- Any qualified teacher with up to three years experience eligible
- Winners background information attached
Minister's office - 9222 9699