- $1.35million towards the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder’s Burt Street Heritage Precinct Restoration Project
- Complements State Government $5million Earthquake Restoration Fund
- The site of the former BUFS building has been transferred to the city
Regional Development Minister Brendon Grylls today announced the State Government will provide $1.35million in Royalties for Regions to support the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder’s Burt Street Heritage Precinct Restoration Project.
Mr Grylls said Burt Street is recognised as an important cultural heritage precinct and is one of WA’s most intact gold rush era streetscapes. It comprises a number of places entered in the State Heritage Register, including the Boulder Town Hall, and many others included in the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder municipal inventory and heritage list.
Local Government and Heritage Minister John Castrilli said the funding to support the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder’s Burt Street Heritage Precinct Restoration Project compliments the State Government’s $5million Goldfields Earthquake Restoration Fund which was set up to ensure the restoration of this historic area progressed as quickly as possible.
Mr Grylls also announced the transfer of the cleared Boulder United Friendly Society (BUFS) building site in freehold from the State to the city.
The former BUFS building was significantly damaged by the Kalgoorlie-Boulder earthquake in April 2010 and further damage was caused by a thunderstorm earlier this year.
“The damage was so severe that the State Government was advised the building had lost its structural integrity and in the interest of public safety the building was demolished and the site was cleared,” Mr Grylls said.
“The demolition of the BUFS building, while necessary, was distressing. However, the long term impact will be improved facilities to the local community as well as new tourism opportunities in the Burt Street Heritage Precinct.”
Eyre MLA Graham Jacobs agreed the Burt Street Heritage Precinct provided a unique window into the wonderful heritage of the Goldfields and thanked the State Government for the funding.
- Kalgoorlie-Boulder earthquake occurred on April 20, 2010
- Kalgoorlie-Boulder thunderstorm occurred on February 16, 2011
- State Government Goldfield’s Earthquake Restoration Fund provides Emergency Relief and Restoration Grants for earthquake building repairs
Regional Development Minister’s office - 9213 7000
Local Government and Heritage Minister’s office - 6552 6600