Western Australians affected by the summer bushfires will benefit from a generous donation of $500,000 from the Papua New Guinea Government.
Papua New Guinea Foreign Affairs and Trade Minister Don Polye will visit Perth today to present a cheque to Emergency Services Minister Rob Johnson.
This season’s bushfires have been extremely destructive, including the bushfires in Perth’s Hills over the weekend of February 5 and 6, which destroyed 71 homes, with a further 39 homes and other structures damaged.
Mr Johnson said the funding would be given to the Lord Mayor’s Distress Relief Fund’s bushfire appeal and will be distributed to affected residents across the State.
“The Acting Prime Minister of Papua New Guinea wrote to the Western Australian Government expressing his sympathy for the residents who lost their properties in the devastating summer bushfires and offered financial help,” he said.
“I am certain this kind contribution by our northern neighbours will be welcomed by the WA community and assist those who are rebuilding their lives.”
The Minister said the community had banded together during what had been one of the most devastating bushfire seasons in the State’s history.
“It has been wonderful to see people volunteer so much of their time and effort as well as provide money and goods to help everyone come through this disaster,” he said.
Minister's office - 9222 9211