The State Government will call tenders from Tuesday, November 17, 2009 to begin works on infill sewerage at Spearwood.
Water Minister Graham Jacobs said the call for tender was possible after the Water Corporation rescheduled funding from its existing budget.
The Minister said actual works would commence within two months.
“From the moment I visited Spearwood residents in June, I have urgently been seeking a strategy to fund the project,” he said.
“Many Spearwood residents have been waiting almost 40 years for sewerage to be connected to their properties and I have been acutely aware of the particular public health concerns as the ageing septic tank systems have broken down.
“The Department of Health prepared a confidential report for the previous Labor Health Minister in 2006, which detailed serious concerns from both a health and environmental perspective in Spearwood. However, no work had commenced on this project.
“My colleague, Deputy Premier and Health Minister Kim Hames, wrote to me last week confirming the reported concerns and indicated that these health issues have now worsened.
“As soon as I was made aware of these concerns, it made it even more imperative for action to be taken and, as a result, all Spearwood residents will have sewerage infill by June 2011, even in these tough economic times.”
This decision to build sewerage infill in Spearwood is based on concerns raised by the Health Minister. Any decisions on future infill sewerage projects will be taken in context of the 2010-11 State Budget process.
Minister's office - 9213 6900